Although we list this under gastro-pubs, the dining room upstairs of this excellent establishment is a top-class comfortable restaurant offering a Modern European style menu.
The pub is named after one of London's most famous 19th century builders and the whole has been painstakingly-restored to retain as many of its original features, with a scattering of open fireplaces - while adding comforts such as air-conditioning.
The ground floor bar has detailed panelling, an oak bar and original oak floors and bare wooden tables. The menu here offers upmarket 'pub' food (albeit at West End prices), with dishes such as 'Steamed Shetland Mussels with Sauce Provencale and Chips'; 'Grilled Cumberland Sausages, Buttered Mash and Red Onion Gravy' and 'Vegetarian Burger, Montgomery Cheddar, Red Onion Marmalade and Chips' on offer. Chef Phillip Wilson hasn't skimped his sourcing expertise even here - the inclusion of Montgomery Cheddar, being just one example.
The upstairs dining room offers more serious fare, in what could be a formal/romantic setting (see photograph).
Dishes here, as in the bar, change with the seasons but starters such as 'Carlingford Rock Oysters'; 'Twice-Baked Montgomery Cheddar and Thyme Soufflé, Apple and Hazelnut Salad' and 'Ballotine of Quail, Chestnut and Rosemary Stuffing, Smokey Bacon and Lentils' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Pan-Fried Sea Bass, Sautéed Prawns, New Potatoes, Fennel, Caviar and Chive Velouté'; 'T Bone of Scottish Veal, Wild Mushrooms, Potato Purée and Café de Paris Sauce' or 'Braised Shoulder of Welsh Lamb Navarin, Bashed Neeps and Carrots, Roasted Root Vegetables'.
As much effort goes into the desserts, with maybe 'Cox's Orange Pippin Apple Tart Tatin, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce' and 'Iced Cerry Parfait, Creamed Vanilla Rice Pudding, Chocolate Chip Biscuit' on offer.
Sunday lunch in the Bar is deservedly popular.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Restaurant Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00; £17.50 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses); mains £17 to £28; set L Sun £15.50 (2 courses), £19 (3 courses); Bar menu and excellent Sunday lunch available in Bar.
- Dinner: Restaurant Mon-Sat, 18.00-22.00; set D £28 (2 courses), £35 (3 courses); mains £17 to £28
- Seats: 60
- Wine: a good list, with something for everyone, kicks off at about £20 and includes some prestigious bottles
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: The restaurant is upstairs, wheelchair access to the bar is possible
- Nearest station: Rail & Tube: Victoria (10 minutes)
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: Upstairs Restaurant Closed for L Sat & all Sun, plus Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned