This comfortable and relaxing restaurant with exposed beams, offers carefully-cooked food using seasonal produce. So fish from the local boats, Romney Marsh lamb and seasonal game figure prominently.
Dishes such as 'Baked Beetroot and Goats' Cheese'; 'Potted Shrimps with Lemon and Dill' and 'Chicken Liver & Port Paté' set the style for starters although the shrimps are particularly seasonal.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Baked Sea Bass with Rosemary and Sea Salt'; 'Wild Rabbit with Sherry and Shallots' and 'Belly of Pork, slow-roasted in Cider, with Black Pudding and Crackling'.
Finish with the likes of 'Rich Chocolate Cake with Red Currant Compote'; 'Lemon Tart' or 'Macaroon & Muscat Trifle'.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Sat & Sun 12.00-15.00; set L £ 14.30 (2 courses), £17.30 (3 courses); mains about £10 to £20
- Dinner: Tues-Sat from 19.00; mains about £10 to £20; set D Weds & Thurs £17.30 (2 courses), £20.30 (3 courses)
- Seats: 32
- Wine: a well-thought-out list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Rye Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: L all week, Sun & Mon