Find this destination restaurant, in a thatched cottage, in the pretty village of Funtington.
The Stephenson's have been building their reputation since 1997, and have built a sold supply-source of top-quality local produce.
Andy Stephenson fronts the stoves, and while his menus closely follow the seasons, dishes such as Terrine of Duck Confit with Spiced Oranges and Toasted Brioche'; 'Soft-Shell Crab Tempura'; 'Wild Mushroom Risotto' and 'Ceviche of Smoked Haddock with Avocado, Red Onion and Coriander' set the style for starters.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of 'Roast Turbot with Brown Shrimps and Lemon and Parsley Butter'; 'Fillet of Beef with Girolles and Garlic Leaves'; 'Honey-Roasted Guinea Fowl, Roulade of the leg, and Puy Lentils and Sherry Vinegar' and 'Sautéed Calves Kidneys, Horseradish Mash, Beetroot and Mustard Fruits'.
Equal care is taken over desserts so you might be tempted by 'Hot Banana and Toffee Soufflé with Banana Ice Cream'; 'Dark Chocolate Nemesis with Almonds and Crème Fraiche' or 'Bramley Apple and Vanilla Crème Brulée (served with a small glass of dessert wine).
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.30-13.30, mains about £18 to £20; set L Mon-Sat £17.50 (2 courses), L Sun £23 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Weds-Sat 19.00-21.15 (Sat 21.30); £29 (2 courses), £36 (3 courses)
- Seats: 28
- Wine: an interesting list, covers the world and kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Emsworth
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L Sat, D Tues & Sun, all Mon; 1 week March, 2 weeks August
- Rooms available