A deservedly-popular neighbourhood restaurant, in two comfortable converted cottages offering robust, and carefully-cooked dishes.
Chef/co-proprietor Vivian Casson listed starters such as Seared Scallops on Potato & Courgette Blinis with Sauce Vierge; Duck Ham, Game & Pistachio Sausage on Celeriac Rémoulade with Sweet Tomatoes, Leaves & Balsamic Dressing; 'Petit Pois Velouté with Mint Oil & a Basket of Soft Boiled Quail's Egg' and Roquefort with Figs among summer starters.
Spiced Belly of Pork with Crackling, Dijon Purée, Caramelised Apples and Apple & Honey Jus; South Downs Lamb Fillet, Croustade of Braised Leg, Carrot Velouté, Baby Leeks, Pickled Red Cabbage, Melted Onion & Boulangère Potatoes and Lamb Jus and 'Fillet of Pure-Bred Beef with Seared Foie Gras, Truffle Sauce, Parmentier Potatoes & Green Beans' were listed among the mains. Fresh fish, and local seasonal game figures prominently; and there are always good options for vegetarians.
Traditional desserts might include 'Crème Brulée with Marinated Strawberries, Honeycomb & Tarragon' and 'Dark Chocolate Orb, filled with Marquise & Raspberries, on Raspberry Coulis' or you can have an assorted plate, making choosing easy.
More reports please.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Weds-Sun 12.00-14.00; set L Weds-Sat £17.00 (2 courses), £21.00 (3 courses); set L Sun £17.50 (2 courses), £21.50 (3 courses); mains £19 to £27
- Dinner: Tues-Sat from 19.00-22.00; set D Tues-Fri from £17 (2 courses) to £35; set D Sat £27.00 (2 courses) to £35; mains £19 to £27
- Seats: 36, plus 15 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out list, travels the world, and kicking off at £16.00
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Chichester
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, L Tues; some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating
Reviews / Comments ( 4 out of 5 average rating)
Add your review
Wed 15th February 2012 by nigel crossley
What did you like about the Restaurant?
quality and flavour of food
What did you not like about the Restaurant?
some presentation of the food is very fussy, trendy and seems to be trying too hard, which is a shame as its unnecessary
Report this review