An excellent restaurant, run by the same team as the successful Arbutus.
Although the dining room has bare boards and solid wooden tables it has a club-like air of comfort with oak panelling and comfortable high-backed chairs and banquette seating.
The menu relies on top-quality ingredients and mixes the modern with the traditional.
So expect the likes of 'Warm Smoked Eel with Sweet and Sour Turnips and Conference Pear Purée'; 'Slow-cooked Elwy Valley Lamb Breast with Heritage Burgundy Potatoes and Spring Onions' and 'Braised Pigs Head with Potato Purée and Caramelised Onions' among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Roast Black Leg Chicken with Gratin Dauphinoise and Trompette Mushrooms'; 'Traditional Bouillabaisse'; 'Wild Sea Bass with Celeriac & Hispi Cabbage'; 'Roast French Limousin Veal with Soft Polenta and Parmesan' and 'Sea Bream with Roast Vegetables and Endive Marmalade'.
If you have room, you might be tempted by 'Crème Brulée'; 'Warm Treacle Tart with Thick Cream'; 'Wild Honey Ice Cream with Crushed Honeycomb' or their excellent selection of cheese.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30; Sun 12.00-15.00; set L £35 (3 courses); mains about £18 to £33
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30; Sun 18.00-21.30; set D (between 18.00-19.00 & 21.30-22.30) £35 (3 courses); mains about £18 to £33
- Seats: 55
- Wine: an interesting list, kicking off in the high £20’s, travels the world and offers all 50 bins by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Bond Street or Oxford Circus Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: some Bank Holidays; 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan
- Air conditioned