An excellent vegetarian restaurant offering everything from a cup of coffee to a full-blown meal. Food is taken very seriously, with menu descriptions extending into lengthy lists of ingredients.
Everything is carefully-sourced, and all prepared in-house. Starters (or light meals) might include the likes of 'Tartlet of Goats' Cheese and Slow-Dried Tomato' (excellent Golden Cross used as the prime ingredient); 'Thai Fritters'; 'Ravioli of Roasted Squash with home-made Curd' and 'Baby Potato, Olive, Caper and Sorrel Salad'.
Dishes such as 'Aromatic Vegetable Curry in a Savoury Rice Pancake'; 'Risotto of Beetroot with Kale and Blue Cheese' and 'Tart of Jerusalem Artichoke and Creamed Celeriac might be listed among the mains while the weekend brings 'All Day Brunch' of eggs (as you like them) on toasted muffins, home-made potato scone and herb tomato sauce.
Desserts are tempting, with maybe 'Amaretto and Vanilla Tart with Caramel Orange'; 'Lime and Ginger Parfait' and 'Dark Chocolate Soufflé with home-made Vanilla Ice Cream' on offer.
There are quite a few dishes suitable for vegan's, and these are clearly marked.
- Food Style: Vegetarian
- Lunch: all week, 11.00-22.00 (Fri & Sat 22.30); mains £8.50 to £11.90
- Dinner: all week, 11.00-22.00 (Fri & Sat 22.30); mains £8.50 to £11.90
- Seats: 86
- Wine: a short, but adequate, list has modest prices
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Edinburgh Waverley
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec, 1st & 2nd Jan