This popular vegetarian restaurant has been part of the Brighton scene since 1981, and they are particularly proud of the fact that their food is so tasty that a good percentage of their customers are carnivores; 2011 has brought an interior make-over and a crisp new look.
Throughout the day there's certainly something for everyone - with Afternoon Tea (offered the likes of Fudge and Carrot & Walnut cake, being a particular draw).
For lunch and evening the menu lists the likes of 'Soup of the Day' - such as 'Mushroom & Tarragon'; 'Tofu Pockets' - (two sweet tofu cases, one filled with organic brown rice, Asian mushrooms, spring onions & avocado; the other with miso, roasted butternut squash, brown rice & silken tofu (with an oriental dressing]); 'Ricotta, Avocado & Artichoke Bake' and 'Rosemary Parsnip and Goats' Cheese Tartlet' - (with honey-roast fig & beetroot dressed walnut, endive & baby chard salad) among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Rosti, with Dolcelatte-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom'; 'Leek & Cheddar Crumble'; 'Vegetable & Puy Lentil Hotpot'; 'Sweet Potato Gratin' and 'Squash & Root Vegetable Tagine'
Desserts are tempting enough for a little extra room to be found with maybe 'Chocolate Torte'; 'Lemon Tart'; 'Masala Mousse filled Profiteroles' and 'Cardamom-scented Crème Caramel' among the offerings.
If in a hurry - say at lunch time - mention this when ordering as we have had reports of long delays food production.
- Food Style: Vegetarian
- Lunch: all week 12.00-22.00 (Fri & Sat 22.30); mains about £9 to £13; set L £19.95 (3 courses); set L Sun £10.95
- Dinner: all week 12.00-22.00 (Fri & Sat 22.30); mains £11 to £13; set D £19.95 (3 courses)
- Seats: 70, plus about 16 outside
- Wine: a concise, but adequate list has modest mark-ups - plus soft drinks such as their own excellent lemonade
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Brighton Rail
- Directions: See the map on this
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating