« back to restaurants search results
Saxon MillCoventry Road, Guys Cliffe, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 5YN
This good gastropub, offers fun eating, plus the pretty setting of a branch of the River Avon and the rather spooky ruins of Guys Cliffe House. The original watermill dating back many centuries - was saved from total ruin by a former Polish church mason after the Second World War. The building has since passed through various gastronomically-dubious hands before being revived by its present owners.
They offer an up to date menu that's equally-suited to grazing as it is to more serious dining.
You can simply share a plate of perhaps 'BBQ Ribs' or 'Greek-style Mezze'; have a starter (quite enough for many) such as ''Goats' Chesse & Balsamic Onion Tart' or 'Grilled Sardines with Sourdough Toast & Sunblush Tomatoes' enjoy a Salad or one of their eight Pizza varieties.
Mains courses might include 'Beer Battered Haddock with Minted Pea Purée & Frites'; 'Half a Spit-Roast Duck with Sauté Potatoes & Bitter Orange Sauce' and 'Organic Salmon with Wasabi Mash, Pink Ginger & Soy Dressing'
Desserts, mainly of the traditional type, are displayed on a blackboard.
A good time seems to be had by all, particularly in sunny weather, when the river setting is hard to beat.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30; Sun 12.00-20.00; mains £7.00 to £18.50
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-21.30; Sun 12.00-20.00; mains £7.00 to £18.50
- Wine: a well-thought-out list, travels the world and kicks off at £12.50
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but with difficulty
- Nearest station: Warwick
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating