« back to restaurants search results
Tower Restaurant & TerraceMuseum of Scotland (Level 5), Chambers Street, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH1 1JF
A good restaurant on the 5th floor of the Museum of Scotland, offering spectacular views over the city. These are particularily-enjoyable in fine weather, when you can eat outside on the terrace.
The dining room has a club-like atmosphere, with specially-commissioned oak tables and impressively-designed aluminium chairs. During the evening, it can be reached by a special restaurant entrance, from where a dedicated lift will take you to the restaurant.
The menu has been designed to bring out the best of Scottish seasonal produce, so varies considerably throughout the year, but a Spring version brought 'Jerusalem Artichoke Soup'; 'Chicken Liver & Boudin Noir Salad'; 'Ham Hock & Pigs Cheek Terrine' and 'Rock Oysters with a Shallot & Pickled Vegetable Vinegar' among the starters.
'Gnocchi, with Wild Mushroom & Rocket Salad'; 'Char-Grilled Squid with Black Bean and Chorizo & Squid Ink Sauce'; 'Sea Bass, wrapped in Proscuitto with Clam Cioppino' and 'Char-Grilled Beef Fillet with Wilted Mushrooms & Shitake Jus' among the mains.
Desserts are more constant, with perhaps 'Nutmeg Bavarois with Spiced Treacle Syrup and a Almond & Orange Tuile' or 'Toffee Cheesecake with Baked Apple Purée & Cinnamon Ice Cream' to tempt you. While the more savoury-toothed should enjoy their selection of Scottish farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: 12.00-23.00; light set L £12.95; mains £14 to £32
- Dinner: 12.00-23.00; pre-theatre set D (between 17.00-18.30) £12.50; mains £16.50 to £32
- Seats: 96, plus terrace
- Wine: an excellent list, travels the world and kicks off at £16.95, and includes an excellent selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Edinburgh Waverley
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec.
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating