A good chop house offering traditional Victorian-style British food, with a few modern additions. While the core menu is fairly fixed, items such as asparagus and English lamb appear in their respective seasons.
Typical starters are 'Irish Demlane Mussels, in a White Wine, Cream & Shallot Sauce'; 'Butternut Squash & Yorkshire Fine Fettle Cheese Tart' and 'Salted Ox Tongue Salad with Pear Chutney'.
To be followed by the likes of 'Fish & Chips with Mushy Peas'; 'Confit of Duck, Red Wine Poached Pear, Red Wine & Cassis Sauce'; 'Steak & Kidney Pudding'; 'Sirloin Steak, Café de Paris Butter & Chips'. Roast Beef and all the trimmings are offered every lunchtime, plus Roast Lamb on a seasonal basis. There are always a few Vegetarian main course options.
Desserts are off the Sticky Toffee Pudding variety, and they have a good selection of British farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: British Traditional
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00; Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £12.50 to £16.95
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.30-23.00; Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £12.50 to £16.95
- Wine: a good list has been well-thought-out by enthusiasts, and offers fair value
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: some Bank Holidays