This restaurant might be aptly named in style, but not for content. Like its sister restaurant in Spitalfields great care has been taken to offer carefully-sourced natural products - and offer meals at a no frills, realistic price.
The day begins with breakfast items, and these are offered throughout the day - while lunch, tea and dinner menus come and go. These core items include 'Eggs Benedict/Florentine'; 'Bacon Sandwich'; 'Welsh Rabbit'; 'Toasted Muffins' and the like.
Lunch and Dinner times might bring starters/light meals such as 'Pint of Prawns'; 'Potted Duck, Piccalilli & Toast' and 'Devilled Kidneys on Toast'.
Maybe 'Slow-Roasted Pork Belly with Apples'; 'Smoked Haddock, Spinach & Mash'; 'Ribeye Steak with Bearnaise Sauce' plus a daily selection of Roasts and Pies among the main courses.
For the sweet-toothed 'Steamed Syrup Sponge with Custard'; 'Baked Custard Tart with Prunes' or 'Chocolate Brownie Caramel Sundae' might prove a temptation too much to resist; while the more savoury-toothed with have a selection of cheeses from Neal's Yard at hand.
- Food Style: Budget Restaurants - the best
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 8.00-23.00, Sat 9.00-23.00, Sun 9.00-22.00; mains about £9 to £16
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 8.00-23.00, Sat 9.00-23.00, Sun 9.00-22.00; mains about £9 to £16
- Wine: an extensive, and good-value-list, kicks off at around the £16 mark and offers an interesting selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Waterloo
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec.
- Air conditioned