A good bistro-style restaurant, offering traditional French dishes at very reasonable prices.
The dining area is set out in a refectory style, but a balcony area is candlelit during the evening.
Starters such as Spinach Roulade with a Mixed Leaf Salad; Moules Mariniere; Frogs Legs with Garlic Butter and Terrine de Campagne with Pistachio & Cornichons set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of Traditionally-Aged Beef Ribeye Steak with Grilled Mushrooms, Tomato & Beurre Maître dHotel; Marmite Dieppoise (mussels, prawns & salmon stew with Aioli & Croûtons; Seabass Fillet with a Chorizo & White Bean Cassoulet or Tourte Provencale (mixed vegetable tart with a Mixed Salad).
Traditional desserts are listed on a blackboard.
At lunchtime, they also offer a selection of interesting fulled baguettes for those with less time.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: Mon-Sat, 12.00-16.00; set L £7.95; mains £9.90 to £14.95
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 17.00-23.00; set menu between 17.00-19.30 £10 (2 courses); Mon-Thurs set menu £15 (3 courses), Fri & Sat £20 (3 courses); Tues D only £15 (3 courses, incl ½ bottle wine); mains £9.90 to £14.95
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: Sun, some Bank Holidays