What was until a few years ago a run down pub, has been taken over and beautifully restored and now operates as a top-quality gastro pub.
You can eat in the ground floor bustling bar (indeed most of the tables are reserved for diners) or upstairs in the less hectic dining room. But booking, particularly near the end of the week is essential.
As is luckily increasingly the modern way, the menu follows the seasons and the food style brings new life into dishes that would perhaps have been scorned by the previous two generations. There are also a few nods to the Mediterranean.
So expect the likes of 'Wild Boar, Veal and Pork Meatballs'; 'Terrine of Duck with Pistachios'; 'Vegetable Broth' and 'Crab Linguini' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Faggots with Fresh Peas, Cauliflower Cheese and Guinness Gravy'; 'Fish & Chips'; 'Sirloin Steak with hand-cut Chips, Béarnaise Sauce & Rocket'; 'Braised Oxtail, Steak & Kidney Pie with Suet Crust Pastry' and 'Shitake, Girolle & Parsley Risotto with Summer Truffles' among the mains.
Desserts shouldn't be missed if you like traditional puds, with maybe 'Rhubarb Crumble with Custard'; 'Lemon Posset with Shortbread'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' - and in warmer months 'Summer Pudding' on offer. They also have a good selection of farmhouse cheeses.
They also open for Brunch on Saturday, offering dishes such as 'Eggs Benedict' and 'Sausages, Black Pudding, Baked Beans & Vine Tomatoes'.
We have had a few mentions about the quantity of the helpings - so would like to add that you should expect quality rather than a mediocre blow out!
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-15.00; mains about £11 to £16; Brunch Sat 10.00-12.00; lighter dishes are offered at the bar
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £16
- Seats: 40, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but ground floor only
- Nearest station: Bristol Redland
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: D Sun; Christmas
- Outside eating