Find this excellent and elegant little restaurant hidden away in a terraced house on the outskirts of Birkenhead.
Chef Marc Wilkinson offers a short menu of generally three/four choices at each stage, but standards are very high and each dish is a work of art (both aesthetically and on the tastebuds). Combinations and plate displays have been called 'futuristic' by some.
Although menu's change with each service starters such as 'Poached Hen's Egg with a Mushroom Medley & Celeriac Rémoulade'; 'Cauliflower and Coconut with Mussels' and 'Roast Butternut Squash with Morels and Parmesan Ice Cream' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of 'Loin of Rose Veal with Slow-Cooked Butternut Squash and Cep Extract'; 'Halibut with Wild Rice and Aubergine Yoghurt'; 'Roast Chicken Breast with Crushed Bombay Potatoes, Asparagus and a Cardamom & Vanilla Jus' and 'Pink-Cooked Black Face Lamb with Crisp-Battered Sweetbread and a White Bean & Apple Purée'.
Desserts are masterpieces of design, being almost to good to touch - 'Parcel of Apple and its own Sorbet' and 'Trio of Chocolate Textures' might figure. While those with a more savoury tooth will be tempted by their selection of artisan cheeses.
No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Fri & Sat 12.00-13.30; set L from £20 (2 courses) to £35 (4 courses)
- Dinner: Weds-Sun 7.00-20.30 (Sun 18.00-19.30); set D from £48 (3 courses) to £62 (6 courses)
- Seats: 16 (plus 8 outside)
- Wine: an extensive list, having its roots in France, has offerings from around the globe and kicks off in the low £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Birkenhead Central
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: all Mon & Tues, L Weds, Thurs & Sun, 1st two weeks in Jan, 2 weeks Aug.
- Outside eating