Find this excellent pub, decorated in an African theme, just south of Norwich. While it still operates as a proper 'local' their food is the raison d'être for most visitors here.
You can have just one course, but their set meals offer particularly good value, if you have the appetite.
Starters such as 'Smooth Chicken Liver Parfait with Sultana Toast'; 'Leek & Potato Soup'; 'Chargrilled Smoked Salmon with King Prawns & Guacamole' and 'Seared Rare Beef Fillet with Parmesan & Mixed Leaf Salad' set the style.
Mains, might include 'Honey-glazed Confit Duck Leg with braised Puy Lentils, Roast Carrots & Honey-Glazed Parsnips'; 'Girolle and Shitake Mushroom Risotto'; 'Pan-fried fillet of Black Bream with a Caper & Tarragon Nage' and in darker months 'Pan-seared Haunch of Venison with Parma Ham and a Dark Chocolate Sauce'.
Desserts will tempt you too with perhaps 'Vanilla Pannacotta'; 'Chocolate Mousse with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Glazed Lemon Tart with Raspberry Coulis & Mango Sorbet' on offer.
Booking, particularly near the weekend is essential.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; Mon-Sat set L £13.95 (2 courses), £16.95 (3 courses); Sun £16.95 (2 courses), £19.95 (3 courses); mains £12 to £22
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-22.00; set D Sun-Fri £16.95 (2 courses), £19.95 (3 courses); mains £12 to £22
- Seats: 70, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a modestly-priced list is based in France and kicks off at £12.95
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Norwich
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating