Find this good and formal restaurant in The Lowry Hotel on the banks of the River Irwell. Unfortunately, it's unusual to find an in-house restaurant of this standard in Britain, but unlike many hotel dining rooms this restaurant, would succeed in its own right.
While menu changes with the seasons, starters such as 'Watercress Soup with Poached Quail's Egg'; 'Lamb Sweetbreads with Peas, Girolles & Wild Boar Bacon'; 'Loch Duart Treacle-Cured Salmon with Pickled Cucumber Fenne' and 'Fried Burford Brown Egg with Bury Black Pudding & Baby Squid' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Cumberland Sausage with Mashed Potatoes & Shallot Gravy'; 'Lancashire Hotpot with Pickling Red Cabbage'; 'Pan-Fried Skate with Nut-Brown Butter, Shrimps & Capers' and 'Aberdeen Sirloin Steak, on the bone, with Béarnaise Sauce'.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Spiced Poached Pear with Warm Chocolate Fudge Sauce'; 'Pineapple Carpaccio with Lemongrass & Poppy Seed Ice Cream' or their selection of local farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30, Sun 12.30-16.00; set L £24.95 (3 courses); mains about £17 to £29; set L Sun £22.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30, Sun 19.00-22.30; set D £20 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses) mains about £17 to £29
- Seats: 110, plus 40 outside
- Wine: an impressive list travels the world, kicking off at £26
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Salford Central or Manchester Victoria
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, please enquire
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available