Over the years, Montparnasse has grown from a good neighbourhood to a destination restaurant.
Chef Nikolas Facey offers a menu of seasonal mainly local ingredients, cooked with care - including the use of some methods ore associated with a laboratory.
Menus are compact. A summer menu included 'Duck Liver Ballottine, Onion Brioche & Lemon Marmalade'; 'Tomato & Sherry Broth with Aubergine Pesto Ravioli' and 'Goats' Cheese Cannelloni, Rosemary & Brazil Nuts'.
To be followed by 'Spice-crusted Loin of Lamb with Bombay Potatoes & Coriander Yoghurt'; 'Fillet of Wild Sea Bass & Scallop with Charentais, Lime & Chili'; 'Local Skate with cubed Pork Belly, sautéed Prawns & Capers' and 'Pan-fried Fillet Steak, Red Onion Tart Tatin & Madeira Sauce'.
'Hot Chocolate & Ginger Pudding with Bitter Orange Sorbet' and 'Peanut Pannacotta, Butternut Ice Cream & Cashew Nut Milkshake' figured among the desserts.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-13.45, set L from £35
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 19.00-21.30, set D £37 (2 courses), £43 (3 courses)
- Seats: 30
- Wine: an interesting list, kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Southsea Hoverport
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: all Sun & Mon, 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan