Find this smart gastro pub, backing onto the River Test, at one end of the High Sreet. The low-beamed interior reflects the fishing influence, with fishing paraphernalia decorating many of the rooms.
Dining takes place in two areas where the general 18th century feel of bare wooden tables and flooring continues.
The food on offer is a what is nowadays called modern British, so while the menu constantly changes, the short menu might include starters such as 'Gravadlax (or Red Mullet) with New Potatoes & Fennel Salad'; 'Foie Gras with Lentils & Bacon' and 'Fishcake with Poached Egg & Chive Beurre Blanc'.
With possibly 'Fillet of Scotch Beef with Smoked Bacon Dumplings'; 'Sea Bass, Mussel & Clam Fondue & Basil Linguini'; 'Breast of Gressingham Duck with Sarladaise Potatoes & Roast Beetroot' and 'Greenfield Organic Pork Chop with White Pudding & Mustard Velouté' to follow.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Steamed Vanilla Sponge with Blueberry Compote'; 'Apple & Calvados Bavarois'; 'Pannacotta' and 'Dark Chocolate Marquise'.
A less ambitious bar menu is also available.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (Fri, Sat & Sun 14.30), mains £11.50 to £23.00 - plus bar menu
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.00 (Fri, Sat & Sun 21.30); mains £15.00 to £23.00
- Seats: 48, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out list kicks off at £16
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Andover or Winchester
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec. & 31st Dec, 1st Jan
- Outside eating
- Rooms available