Find this 18th century coaching inn between the cathedral and the college. The bar and dining areas are bedecked with interesting historical memorabilia, including an old college desk (complete with inkwell) and glowing winter fires.
The kitchen specialises in what is now seen as classic pub food, cooked to a high standard but this has many overseas influences.
Expect the likes of 'Moroccan Bean Soup'; 'Home-cured Gravadlax'; 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Apple & Grape Chutney' and 'Thai Crab Mousse' and 'Seared Scallops with Tempura Prawns'
'Roast Tenderloin of Pork with Grain Mustard Mash'; 'Oven Baked Sea Bass with Thai Vegetable Noodles' and 'Roast Rack of Hampshire Lamb with Dauphinoise Potatoes'; 'Beef Fillet on Bubble & Squeak with Shallots & Madeira Jus' and Gressingham Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Purée & Red Cabbage'
Finish with 'Pannacotta'; 'Lime & Stem Ginger Cheesecake'; 'Lychee Cheesecake with Blackberry Syrup' or their good selection of farmhouse cheeses.
There's also a good selection of lighter dishes such as their excellent 'Dexter Beef Open Sandwich'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30; mains £6.50 to £10; set L Sun £15.50 (2 courses) to £19.50
- Dinner: Mon-Sat; mains £11 to £20
- Seats: 80, plus 60 outside
- Wine: an extensive list kicks off at £12.50
- Nearest station: Winchester Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: D Sun, 25th Dec.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available