This popular pub, close to the River Stour estuary houses a bistro-style restaurant specialising in seafood.
Among the starters, you'll generally find various Oysters, a 'Seafood Platter'; 'Fresh Fig with Parma Ham & Oxford Blue Salad with Aged Balsamic & A Mano Olive Oil' and 'Roasted Butternut Squash & Sage Risotto with Parmesan'.
Perhaps 'Char-Grilled South Coast Calamari with Garlic, Chili & A Mano Olive Oil, Handcut Fries & Watercress'; 'Adnams Beer Battered Local Fish with Homemade Tartare Sauce, Minty Peas & Handcut Fries'; 'Cioppino Seafood Stew with local Fresh Fish, Mussels & Prawns'; 'Grilled Harwich Lobster with Garlic & Herbs, with Handcut Fries & Alison's Organic Leaves' and 'Char-Grilled Local Ribeye with Tempura Onion Rings, Garlic Field Mushroom, Grilled Cherry Tomatoes & Handcut Fries' listed among the mains.
There are a few Vegetarian options, plus traditional Roast's on Sunday.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Warm Apple & Almond Tart with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Hazelnut Semifreddo with Honey Roasted Pears'; 'Dark Chocolate Cake with Dried Cherry Compote' or their selection of top-quality cheeses from Hamish Johnston (q.v.). well chosen list kicks off at
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30, Sat & Sun 12.00-21.30; Mon-Sat set L £12.50 (2 courses), £15 (3 courses); set L Sun £14.95 to £17.95 (3 courses); mains about £9 to £16
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.30-21.30; Sat & Sun 12.00-21.30; mains about £11 to £31
- Seats: 75, plus 12 outside
- Wine: a well chosen list kicks off at about £15; with an excellent selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Mistley Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, but limited
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available