This pub with bare brick walls and floorboards and open fires offers good brasserie-style food.
Lunchtime brings everything from sandwiches, which you order from the bar, to good set meals and pasta platters. Effect has been made to source top-quality items, including local produce and traditionally hung meat.
More elaborate main courses might include 'Cold Smoked Duck Pastrami with Spiced Peach Chutney & Balsamic Vinaigrette'; 'Crispy Salt & Pepper Squid and Pickled Vegetables with Chili & Coriander Dressing'; 'Terrine of Ham Hock, Parsley & Gherkins & Sweet Mustard Piccalilli' and 'Sautéed Mushrooms on Toast, Poached Hens Egg & Hollandaise Sauce' among the listed starters.
Possibly 'Dressed Cornish Crab, Potato & Chive Salad, Raspberry Vinaigrette'; 'Slow-cooked Duck Leg, Black Olive & Parsley Mash, Fine Beans & Balsamic Cherries'; 'Pan-seared Calves Liver, Suffolk Bacon, Polenta Herb Mash & Roasted Shallots' and 'Butter-poached Turbot Fillet, Cauliflower Purée, Crushed Potatoes & Langoustine Tortellini' from among the mains.
Depending on the season, you might find 'Red Wine & Crumble Tart, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream'; 'Bittersweet Chocolate Terrine, Raspberry Sorbet' and 'Sticky Toffee Pudding, Butterscotch Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream' to round off your meal.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.00; set L Mon-Fri from £ 13.95 (2 courses); set L Sun £19.95; mains from £10 to £23
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-22.00; set D before 19.30 £18.95 (2 courses) to £23.50; mains £10 to £23
- Seats: 70, plus 40 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out list has modest mark ups.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Datchworth
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, D Sun, check Christmas openings
- Outside eating