This pub, picturesquely-set by the village pond, they are under the same ownership as The White Horse at Brancaster Staithe (q.v.) and share some good suppliers including those for fish.
Starters such as 'Cromer Crab Tian with Carrot Rémoulade & Gazpacho Relish'; 'Chicken Liver & Amaretto Paté with Melba Toast & Onion Jam' and 'Trio of Melon with Mixed Berry Coulis & Mint Frozen Yoghurt' set the style.
To be followed by the likes of 'Pan-roasted Cajun & Turmeric-dusted Cod Fillet with Parmentier Potatoes, Tomato Relish & Parsnip Crisps'; 'Sweet Chili-glazed Pork Belly with Potato & Noodle Rosti and Bramley Apple & Lime Compote'; 'Pan-fried Calves Liver with Spring Onion Mash, Pancetta & Butternut Squash Purée' and 'Rack of Lamb with grilled Polenta, Rocket Pesto & oven-roasted Plum Tomato'.
Desserts are a high point with perhaps 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Pecan Toffee'; 'Gooseberry Crème Brulée with Shortbread' and 'Warm Chocolate & Raspberry Tart with a Pistachio Biscuit & Chantilly Cream' there to tempt you.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.00, mains about £10 to £20; Sun 12.00-14.45 mains £12.50 to £14.75
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.45-21.15, mains about £13 to £20
- Seats: 70, plus 60 outside
- Wine: a concise list, kicks off at around the £17 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Letchworth Garden City
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun, check Christmas openings
- Outside eating