The George & Dragon is thought to date back to the early 13th century, giving it justifiable claims to be among Britain's oldest pubs. While it's been tastefully restored, there are still impressive old beams, flagstones and an inglenook fireplace to make you feel a little part of history.
On the food front, the kitchen aims to source all major ingredients from a 30 mile radius, putting a large stretch of the coastline well within reach.
If you just seek a light meal, these are available in the bar - with perhaps salt beef sandwiches, bavette steak and perhaps a risotto on offer.
For serious dining the menu follows the seasons and there's the alternative of a more formal restaurant upstairs, while an early summer snapshot of their menu brought 'Caulifower & Leek Soup with Wild Garlic Pesto'; 'Game Terrine with Spiced Apple Chutney'; 'Groombridge Asparagus with Poached Duck Egg & Hollandaise' and 'Oxtail Ragoût with Pumpkin & Spinach Gnocchi' among the starters.
'Pata Negra Pork Chump Chop with Butter Beans & Cider'; 'Wild Sea Bass with a Caper & Brown Shrimp Dressing'; 'Grilled Marsh Lamb with Summer Vegetables' and 'Line-caught Sea Bream with Basil & Vermouth' listed among the mains. Game, particularly venison, figures prominently during darker months.
If you still have room, desserts such as 'Crème Brulée with Caramelised Pears'; 'Wild Cherry Posset with Cherry Salsina' or 'Rhubarb Crumble with Custard' might tempt you - while the more savoury-toothed will enjoy their selection of local artisan cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30, Sat 12.00-14.30; Sun 12.00-15.30; mains about £10 to £22
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 19.00-21.30, Sat 18.30-21.30; mains about £10 to £22
- Seats: 100, plus 55 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out list, kicks off at around the £15 mark, and offers a good choice by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Tunbridge Wells Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun, check Christmas openings
- Outside eating