A split-level, brasserie-style, operation offering an interesting menu of generally carefully-cooked items, in a modern atmosphere.
Starters such as 'Pan-seared Cicken Livers in a Sweet Chili Sauce on a Garlic Croûte with Crisp Pancetta & Fresh Herbs'; 'Salad of Glazed Goats' Cheese, topped with Spiced Orange & Black Cherries & Balsamic Dressing' and 'Basil & Lime Marinated Smoked-Salmon-Rose with a Red Onion & Caper Salsa, Toasted Granary Bread' set the style.
Items such as 'Char-grilled Beef Fillet or Sirloin with Tomatoes, Black Pudding Fritters & a Red Wine Jus'; 'Oven-roasted Goosnargh Duck Breast with a Braised Duck Leg, Orange & Mango Fondue & Butter-Crushed Potatoes'; 'Pan-seared Fillet of Sea Bass, Mediterranean Vegetables, Saffron Potatoes, Buttered Cabbage & Saffron Cream Sauce' and 'Prosciutto-wrapped Corn Fed Chicken Breast stuffed with Oyster Mushrooms & Sun Blushed Tomato with Creamed Potatoes & Roasted Garlic Sauce' might follow.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'White & Dark Chocolate Mousse with Cointreau and home-baked Shortrbread'; 'Marmalade-glazed Bread & Butter Pudding with Crème Anglaise or Vanilla Ice Cream' or their selection of artisan cheeses.
Expect relaxed brasserie, rather than formal service.
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.00, Sun 13.00-20.00; set L Tues-Sat £8.95 (2 courses), £10.95 (3 courses); set L Sun £10.95 (2 courses), £12.95 (3 courses); light lunch dishes are also offered
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-21.30; set D 18.00-20.00, £11.95 (2 courses), £13.95 (3 courses); mains £13 to £19
- Seats: 50
- Wine: a well-thought-out list kicks off at £14.95
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Blackburn
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: D Sun, all Mon; check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned