Find this popular pub tucked away on the Market Square.
What was once a timber-framed coaching inn, is now a good foodie pub with rooms – with a strong following. The atmospheric lounge and dining room, and the kitchen's interesting cooking make it ideal eating out treat.
The menu is a mix of jazzed-up standards and continental influences – plus local ingredients, but a snapshot might bring ‘Bell Peppers Stuffed with Cheese'; 'Yorkshire Puddings with Gravy'; 'Baked Camembert with Warm Bread' and 'Pigs in Blankets with Rosemary, Garlic Potatoes & Dips' among the starters.
‘Nelson Indian Beef' or 'Chickpea' Burgers; 'Salsa Verde Sea Bass with Salade Nicoise'; 'Smoked Haddock Rabbit with Cheddar, Crushed Beets & Horseradish Potatoes' and 'Lincoln Red Beef Bourguignon Pie' listed among the main courses.
Interesting desserts such as ‘Lemon Posset & Balsamic Strawberries’; 'Pimm's Jelly' and 'Chocolate Melting Pot' figured on a summer menu.
They also offer good sandwiches & pizzas.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30; mains about £12 to £16
- Dinner: all week 18.00-21.00; mains about £12 to £16
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Oakham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Rooms available