A pub offering all the things a good local should a friendly welcome, plus billiards, darts, dominoes, shove ha'penny and in this case petanque.
As well as that they serve good food; and as their name denotes this is centred around the pig and its products.
The process is to find a table, then order at the bar, returning with your eating 'tools'.
Snacks and light meals range from 'Beef Dripping, Toast & Sea Salt' through 'Open Sandwich of Grilled Dry-Cured Bacon, Binham Blue, Roasted Tomatoes & Red Onion' to 'Potted Ham, Perrownes Pickled Quail Eggs, Toast & Homemade Piccalilli' and 'Baked Chicken & Ham Pancakes'.
More serious appetites will be tempted by 'Dressed Cromer Crab Salad with Brown Bread & Lemon'; 'Slow-cooked Belly of Pork, Smoked Bacon Beans, Apple Chutney & Black Pudding'; 'Traditional Fisherman's Pie, topped with Cheddar Mash & Spring Greens' and 'Rosemary-roasted free-range Chicken, Crispy Dry-Cured Bacon, Chipolata, Lemon Stuffing, Fried Potatoes & Onions'.
A few puds might include 'Aspalls Cider Jelly, topped with Cinnamon Cream, Poached Pear & Flapjack' and 'Lavender & Lemon Posset, Stewed Summer Fruits & Shortbread'; while the more savoury-toothed will be tempted by their selection of local artisan cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 11.00-14.30, Sun & Bank Holdays 12.00-15.00; mains £9.95 to £12.50
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-21.00; mains £9.95 to £12.50
- Wine: a concise list, kicks off at £12.50 and is backed up by excellent local beers
- Nearest station: Sheringham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun; all Mon; check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available