Find this newly refurbished pub-restaurant close to the University of East Anglia, in this leafy area of the city. While the trendy bustle of the ground floor bar might make the presence of serious food seem unlikely, head upstairs and you are transported into an elegant dining room, where all is peace and calm.
As is now fortunately the trend, menus follow the seasons and much of the food is sourced locally.
So expect the likes of Pan-fried Mackerel Fillets with Chorizo Sausage, Curly Kale & Apple Crisps; 'Citrus-cured Salmon with Warm Fennel, Mizuna Salad & Pickled Beetroot Chicken Liver Parfait with Saffron-Pickle-Courgettes & Toasted Sour Dough and Ham Hock & Morcilla Terrine among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of Venison with Truffle Cream; Gressingham Duck Breast with Thyme Fondant Potato, Sticky Fig Tartlet, Roasted Celeriac & Cinnamon-infused Jus and Pan-fried Cod Fillet with Creamed White Beans & Chorizo listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by Peanut Butter Parfait with Glazed Bananas; Hot Chocolate Fondant, Vanilla Ice Cream, Boozy Cherries & White Chocolate Wafer or their selection of cheeses.
If you'd like to eat less elaborately the busy bar offers well-cooked lighter dishes such as Caesar Salad, Burgers & Thai Green Curry, if you manage to grab a table.
Their Sunday lunch is deservedly popular.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Sun 12.00-15.00, set L £20 (2 courses), £22.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-22.00, set D £14 (2 courses), £18 (3 courses); mains £11 to £18
- Seats: 45
- Wine: an interesting list, with something for everyone, kicks off at about £14
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: No, restaurant upstairs
- Nearest station: Norwich
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Mon-Sat, D Sun, check Christmas openings