This well-known oyster bar and restaurant has had a recent revamp and was relaunched with top chef Mark Hix’s name at the stoves – although he has since moved on to open his own restaurans, chef Dave McCarthy has filled his shoes well. While in the past, the restaurant has been firmly rooted in tradition, a few modern influences are now visible to satisfy a new generation of diners.
Expect the likes of various ways with Oysters, Shellfish Bisque’; ‘Sautéed Monkfish Cheeks & Snails; ‘Bass Ceviche with Jalapeno & Avocado’ and ‘Burratina with Roasted Aubergines & Lemon Pesto’ among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by ‘Deep-fried Haddock with Mushy Peas’; ‘Roasted Monkfish Tail with Artichokes & Plum Tomato Dressing’; ‘Fillet of Halibut with Asparagus Tortelloni & Lemon Verbena’; 'Grilled Lobster with Garlic Butter & Seashore Vegetables; ‘Chicken, Bacon & Quail Egg Pie’ and ‘Rump of Veal with Cauliflower Purée, Sautéed Mousserons & Ruby Chard’.
Game figures prominently during darker months.
Desserts stick with tradition, so perhaps ‘Chocolate & Raspberry Torte’; ‘Bakewell Pudding with Almond Ice Cream’ and ‘Amalfi Lemon Semi-Freddo’ might tempt you.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-22.30, Sun 12.00-22.00, mains about £18 to £42
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-22.30, Sun 12.00-22.00, mains about £18 to £42
- Seats: 120, plus about 26 outside
- Wine: an excellent list, that travels the world, kicks off in the mid £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Green Park Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th Dec
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating