Find this friendly Italian restaurant through a red door on a street corner.
Many of the dishes are based on the proprietor's home region of Umbria, and while the food style is traditionally simple, with the good quality ingredients used, and touches like home-made pasta and gnocchi, the flavour of each ingredient is allowed to stand out.
Menu's change a little at each service, but starters such as 'Roast Umbrian-style Ham with Rucola & Pecorino'; 'Crostino of Chicken Livers, Ham & Marinated Mushrooms';'Carpaccio of Pear, Spicy Pecorino & Balsamic Vinegar' 'Spinach & Ricotta Tortelloni with Butter & Sage' and 'Sautéed Calamari with Chili, Garlic & Cannellini Beans' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Grilled Cod with a Herb Crust, Pesto & French Beans'; 'Lamb Cutlets, Fresh Herbs, French Beans & Cannellini'; 'Calf's Liver & Sage with Grilled Polenta & Asparagus' and 'Breast of Chicken with Rosemary, Garlic, Tomatoes and Red Onions'.
Finish with the likes of 'Chocolate Fudge Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream & Fudge Sauce'; 'Pear & Amaretto Mousse' or 'Pannacotta with Strawberries'
Service is friendly and professional. Tables are fairly tightly-packed, so better for fun than a private business meeting.
- Food Style: Italian
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.15-15.00, mains about £16 to £24; set L from £15 (2 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.30-23.00, pre theatre set D £19.50 (2 courses) between 17.30 & 19.30; mains about £20 to £25
- Seats: 50
- Wine: a list based in Italy kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Nearest station: Oxford Circus Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: L Sat, all Sun; most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned