This combination of restaurant and top-quality self-service café is run by Oliver Peyton, of television fame, and his experience shows in the quality on offer. It's a marvellous place to eat in fine weather, as their terrace overlooks the tranquillity of the lake at St. James's Park.
The day starts with breakfast - ranging from Muffins & Granola to Full English Breakfast (with treats like Dripping Fried Bread to tempt you), while on the self-service front, Cakes, Pastries, Salads and Sandwiches are offered until 18.00 each day.
Lunch and Dinner bring more serious fare, and while the cooking might not be over complicated, ingredients have been carefully sourced.
So expect the likes of 'Nettle or Saffron Soup'; 'Smoked Eel, Celeriac Slaw & hard-boiled Egg'; 'Devilled Lamb Kidneys on Toast' and 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Piccalilli & Soda Toast' among the starters.
While a summer visit brought 'Galloway Longhorn Burger'; 'Confit Shoulder of Herdwick Mutton with Pickled Beetroots & Walnuts'; 'Griddled Wester Ross Salmon, Leeks & Samphire Vinaigrette and Caper Butter'; 'Stuffed Rabbit Leg, Grain Mustard & Roast Garlic' and 'Galloway Longhorn T Bone Steak with Honey Mustard' among the mains.
A few simple desserts are there to tempt you - with maybe 'Bakewell Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream' and home-made ices and sorbets to tempt you. While there are generally good farmhouse cheeses for those with a more savoury tooth.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 8.00-22.30, Sat & Sun 9.00-22.30; set L Mon-Sat £25.50 (2 courses), £29.50 (3 courses); set L £24.50 (2 courses), £29.50 (3 courses); L mains about £15 to £26
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 8.00-22.30, Sat & Sun 9.00-22.30; D mains about £15 to £26
- Seats: 100, plus 70 outside
- Wine: a good list kicks off at around the £17 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: St James's Park Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: No. But the best drop-off-point is by the ICA on the Mall.
- Closed: check Christmas openings