An excellent restaurant - part of the small chain run by TV celebrity foodie, Oliver Peyton - specialising in the best of British food, cooked without too many frills. To enjoy the restaurant at its best, try to secure at window table (giving views over Trafalgar Square) - and avoid tables further back, where the low ceiling gives a slightly oppressive feel.
While the menu changes with the seasons, a summer snapshot brought 'Chilled Cucumber & Ginger Soup with Dorset Crab'; 'Goat Cheese Pot with Caramelised Beetroot'; 'Duck Egg, Crispy Bacon, Pea Shoot Salad' and 'Eight varieties of Heritage Tomatoes with Gazpacho Vinaigrette' listed among the starters.
Baked Trout with Rhubarb Compote & Minted Peas'; 'Steamed Skate with Samphire, New Potatoes & Cockles'; 'Best End & Breast of Herdwick Mutton with Pickled Beetroots & Walnuts' and 'Grilled Farmer Sharp's Aged Sirloin with Chips & Herb Butter' among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Warm Treacle Tart'; 'Rich Chocolate Pot' - their choice of Sundaes or their excellent selection of British farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 10.00-17.00, set L Mon & Sat £23.50 (2 courses + Kir cocktail), £28.50 (3 courses + Kir cocktail); Sun £1 more
- Seats: 100
- Wine: a good list, with its roots in France, kicks off at £14.50
- Children's portions: Yes, plus Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Charing Cross Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: check Gallery seasonal opening times
- Air conditioned