What was until a few years ago a run down local, is now a booming gastro pub of high repute, and under the same ownership as The Bull at Highgate (q.v.).
The style is similar with starters such as 'Charcuterie Plate with Roasted Artichoke, Rocket & Parmesan Salad'; 'Foie Gras & Chicken Liver Paté with Toasted Brioche'; 'Seared Diver Scallops with Pea & Mint Risotto' and 'Linguini with Palourde Clams, Chili & Garlic setting the style. The last two also being offered as main courses.
Mains might include 'Roast Rack of Lamb, French Beans, Shallot Purée & Mint Jus'; 'Confit Duck Leg with a Warm Asian Salad & Hoi Sin Dressing'; 'Pan-fried Sea Bass, Panzanella Salad, Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette & a Herb Salad and their popular 'Shepherd's Pie'.
If you have room 'Lemon Meringue Pie'; 'Vanilla & Cinnamon Poached Pears, Rum Chocolate Sauce & Shortbread; 'Vanilla Pannacotta, Rhubarb & Strawberry' or their good selection of British farmhouse cheeses might tempt you.
Their Saturday & Sunday breakfasts, served between 11.00-12.00, are deservedly popular.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.30 (Sat & Sun 15.30), Breakfast 11.00-12.00 Sat & Sun English Breakfast £8.75); mains about £13 to £20
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.30 (Sat & Sun 18.30); mains about £13 to £20
- Seats: 40
- Wine: a good list kicks off at around the £20 mark, and offers a good selecion by the carafe & glass
- Children's portions: Children's menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Highbury & Islington
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Mon, check Christmas openings
- Outside eating