Set in a splendid Georgian country house, this fusian-style restaurant with rooms offers all-day food – with something for everyone.
A no-booking system operates, and you write your order on a pad at your table before taking it to the bar – normal service then follows.
Starters, some of which are also offered as main courses, include the likes of ‘Penne Pasta, Spinach, Pine Nuts, Gorgonzola & Tempura Chili’; ‘Beetroot Tart Fine – with Goats Curd, Onion Purée, Ruby Chard & Hazelnuts’; ‘Risotto of Field Mushrooms & Peas’; ‘Bang Bang Chicken’ and ‘Gravadlax with Sweet Mustard Dressing & Dandelion Leaves’.
While main courses proper, might list ‘Suffolk Pork Sausages, Bubble & Squeak Mash & Shallot Gravy’; ‘Deep-fried Haddock in Beer Batter, Chips & Tartare Sauce’; ‘Slow-Braised Lamb Shank on Grain Mustard Mash’; ‘Devon Duck Breast with Parmentier Potato, Savoy Cabbage & Peppercorn Sauce’; and ‘Whole Grilled Gilt Head Bream & Greek Salad’ – but menus change frequently.
Perhaps finish with ‘Lemon Tart with Orange Mascarpone’; ‘Bread & Butter Pudding’; ‘Pannacotta with Stewed Plums in Red Wine’ or their selection of British farmhouse cheeses – served with fig relish & oatcakes.
- Food Style: Global
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-21.30, Sun 12.00-16.30; mains about £14 to £32 – plus Sandwiches & Wraps; set L Sun £22.75 (2 courses), £29 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 12.00-21.30, Sun 17.00-21.30; mains about £14 to £32
- Seats: 80, plus about 30 outside
- Wine: an interesting list travels the world, kicking off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Manningtree Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available