Find this popular restaurant/bar with comfortable bedrooms, two miles north of Ludlow. It's named after Clive of India, and his coat of arms figures prominently in the bar area.
Dishes are carefully prepared with starters such as 'Terrine of Pork & Chicken Livers with Apple Chutney & Toast'; 'Pan-fried Scallops on charred Pancetta & Citrus Dressed Leaves' and 'Salad of Char-grilled Vegetables, Artichoke, Prosciutto & flaked Parmesan' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Breast of free-range Shropshire Chicken wrapped in Smoked Bacon with Morel Sauce, Sweet Potato Mash & Seasonal Vegetables'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass on Squid Ink Pasta with Seafood Sauce'; 'Butternut Squash & Sage Risotto with Parmesan' and 'Roast Loin of Corvedale Lamb, filled with Chicken & Tarragon Mousse, Fresh Spinach & Dauphinoise Potatoes'.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by Dark Chocolate Mousse with White Chocolate Sauce & Grittines'; 'Tart Tatin, Caramelised Nectarines & Clotted Cream' and 'Titamisu with Coffee Cream'.
Their Sunday lunch, including Roast Sirloin of Local Beef, is deservedly popular and offers good value; while al fresco dining is popular in summer months.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sat & Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £16 to £18 - plus cheaper Bar Menu
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.30-21.30, Sat & Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £16 to £19 - plus cheaper Bar Menu
- Wine: a well-thought-out list has a good choice by the glass and has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Ludlow Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: some Bank Holidays; 25th & 26th Dec.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available