A family run bistro-style restaurant, with husband Nicholas Barrett at the stoves. The dining room has a particularly romantic feel during the evening.
While the menu changes with the seasons, and early Spring snapshot brought 'Isle of Skye Scallops with Parsnip Purée, Crisp Bacon & Red Wine Jus'; 'Tempura-Battered Tiger Prawns with Spicy Dipping Sauce'; 'Quail Breasts with Oyster Mushroom Lardons and Shallot & Balsamic Vinegar' and 'Goats Cheese & Wild Mushroom Risotto with Rocket Salad' among the starters.
'Roast Vegetable & Spinach Open Lasagne with a White Sauce'; 'Calf's Liver with Bacon, Mushrooms & Gravy'; 'Roast Loin of Denham Estate Venison with Button Onions, Lardons, Mushrooms & a Port Sauce' and 'Luxury Fish Ragoût - Halibut, Tiger Prawns, Lobster & Scallops in a Vermouth Sauce with Creamed Potatoes' listed among the mains.
Tempting puds might include 'Vanilla Pannacotta with Cherry Compote'; 'Deep-Filled Treacle Tart with Custard' and 'Honeycombe Ice Cream with Fudge Sauce' - while those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of British Artisan Cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Thurs, Fri & Sat 12.00-14.00; set L £22 (2 courses), £28 (3 courses); mains about £19 to £24
- Dinner: Thurs, Fri & Sat 19.00-21.30; mains about £19 to £24
- Seats: 60, plus about 40 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list, travels the world, kicking off at around £17
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Sudbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Sun & Mon; check Christmas openings
- Outside eating