A relaxing country pub offering carefully-prepared traditional food.
Dishes such as 'Homemade Chicken Liver Paté'; 'Butterfly King Prawns with Salad Leaves & Chili Dressing' and 'Glazed Goats Cheese Croûte with Rocket Salad & Tomato Chutney' set the style for starters.
Perhaps 'Braised Shoulder of Masham Lamb with Mint & Redcurrant Gravy'; 'Fresh East Coast Haddock & Chips & Mushy Peas'; 'Rigatoni with Roast Squash & Red Onion with Garlic & Crème Fraiche' and 'Moor Cottage Farm Rib Eye Steak' listed amongst the mains.
Those with a sweet tooth might not be able to resist 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'; 'Lemon Drizzle Pudding with Raspberry Sauce' and 'Crème Brulée with Baby Orange, Baileys & Shortbread'.
They also list gluten-free options.
They also have a shop (The Shoulder Shop) stocking plenty of local products including pastries & cakes.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.00; mains £11 to £20; set L £14.95 (2 courses), £18.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-21.00; mains £11 to £20
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Outside eating