A well-run hotel/pub and restaurant owned by Adnams of brewing fame.
You can eat in either the buzzy bar or in the more formal dining room; with starters such as 'Gratin of Devon Crab'; 'Mediterranean Fish Soup'; 'Confit of Telmara Duck with Plum Chutney & Toasted Olive & Oregano Bread' and 'Pressed Pheasant & Mallard Terrine' setting the style.
Main courses, such as 'Lamb's Liver with Red Cabbage & Bacon & Sage Bread Pudding'; 'Grilled Lowestoft Plaice with Brown Shrimp & Dill Butter'; 'Braised Shin of Suffolk Beef with Horseradish Mash, Pancetta & Watercress Pesto' and 'Pappardelle of Local Hare cooked with tomato, star anise & chianti' might follow.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Vanilla Pannacotta with Dried Fruit Compote & Brandy Snap'; 'Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chocolate Sauce & Clotted Cream' or their excellent selection of British farmhouse cheeses from Neal's Yard.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; set L from £14.95 (2 courses); set L Sun £16.95 (2 courses); mains about £14 to £20
- Dinner: all week 18.30-21.00, mains about £14 to £20
- Seats: 80, plus about 12 outside
- Wine: an excellent list has modest mark-ups and some prestigious bottles
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available