A good neighbourhood restaurant set in a beautiful old barn on a vineyard, where you can visit their on-site shop, their gardens or their excellent regular Saturday farmers market. The kitchen sources as much as possible locally - whilst some items are grown on the estate.
The cooking style is simple, showing off the excellent quality of the ingredients to the full.
A late summer snapshot brought 'Grilled Sardines with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes & Potato Salad'; 'Terrine of Rabbit & Hazelnut with Sweet & Sour Figs' and 'Seared Ribeye with Sesame Seed and Cucumber Salad & Chili Dressing' among the short list of starters.
'Stowlangtoft Lamb Rump with Rosti Potato & Red Cabbage'; 'Guinea Fowl Breast & Leg with Parsnip Purée & Wyken Beans'; 'Organic Salmon Fillet, Smoked over Vine Leaves with Spinach & New Potatoes' and 'Butternut Squash & Leek Risotto with White Truffle Oil' listed among the mains.
Finish with 'Dark Chocolate & Praline Torte with Drambuie Oranges'; 'Apple & Sultana Streusel Tart with Organic Jersey Cream'; a selection of their own ice creams or perhaps British farmhouse cheeses with walnut bread.
Their cafe offers lighter dishes - such as 'Sausages & Mash'; 'Eggs Benedict' and 'Kedgeree' - plus excellent cakes.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (café from 10.00-18.00); set L £19 (2 courses), £22 (3 courses); mains about £14 to £21
- Dinner: Fri & Sat 19.00-21.00; mains about £14 to £21
- Seats: 40, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks off in the low £20's
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Stowmarket or Thetford Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun-Thurs; 1 week Christmas
- Outside eating