Converted from a former grammar school, this popular restaurant with a garden for al fresco dining offers modern British dishes for lunch and dinner, with excellent Afternoon sandwiched-in between.
Their main menu's offer the likes of 'Nettle & Sweet Onion Soup with Soughdough'; 'Duck Liver Paté with Red Grape Compote, Caramelised Shallots & Brioche'; 'Treacle-Cured Cornish Pollock with Ricotta Horseradish Cream, Pickled Cucumber & Rye Toast' and 'Seared Scallops with Sweet Potato & Parmesan Pancakes & Salsa Verde' amongst autumn starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Buckinghamshire Sirloin Steak with Hand-Cut Chips & Dressed Leaves'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass with Tarragon-Braised Beans, Crisp Capers, Chorizo & Tomato Dressing' and 'Roasted Pumpkin & Sage Risotto with Melted Bocconcini & Toasted Pumpkin Seeds' in their list of mains.
Puds – such as 'Lemon Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream & Raspberry Coulis' and 'Pear Tarte Tatin with Salted Walnuts, Star Anise Crème Fraiche' might be on offer to tempt you at the end.
Trainers, track suits & shorts are not acceptable.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week set L Mon-Sat £15 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); set L Sun £22.50 (2 courses), £29 (3 courses); mains about £17 to £30
- Dinner: all week, mains about £17 to £30
- Seats: 50, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a French-based list kicks off at around the £18 mark, and includes a few interesting English wines
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Amersham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Outside eating