This deservedly popular dining-pub with rooms overs a clever mix of British & Mediterranean dishes in a buzzy atmosphere - whilst if the weather allows the terrace givessplendid views over the countryside. Expect comfortable sofas in which to relax - plus bare wooden tables dressed with candles during the evening.
On the food front, starters such as 'Fried Cornish Squid with Garlic, White Pepper & Olive Oil'; 'River Exe Mussels with Cider, Cream, Parsley & Crusty Bread'; 'Flaked Confit Duck Salad with Spicy Thai Herbs & Cashew Nuts' and 'Beetroot & Butternut Squash with Whipped Goats Cheese & Pumpkin Seeds' were listed on the choice of autumn starters.
With 'Crendon Manor Belly Pork with Scallops, Black Pudding, Apple & Pommes Purée'; 'North Atlantic Cod with Champ Potatoes, Tomato & Mussel Broth'; 'Roast Chicken with Curly Kale, Carrots, Roast Garlic Mash & Roasting Juices' and 'Wild Mushroom Linguini with Cream & Garlic Parsnip Crisps' - plus various Steaks amongst the mains.
If you have a sweet tooth, you might be tempted by 'Caramelised Apple Tart with Cinnamon Ice Cream' or 'Coffee Crème Brulée' - whilst cheese lovers have British artisan offerings from Neals Yard.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (Sat 15.00, Sun 16.00); set L midweek (Sun a la carte) £15 (2 courses) to £20; mains about £12 to £22
- Dinner: all week 18.00-21.30 (Sun 21.00); set L £15 (2 courses) to £20; mains about £12 to £22
- Seats: 60, plus about 50 outside
- Wine: a concise, well-chosen, list kicks off at about the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Haddenham & Parkway Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating
- Rooms available