Find this little restaurant in the luxurious Howard Hotel in New Town, just a short walk from Princes Street. It's ideal for a special occasion, and you can enjoy a pre prandial drink in the hotel drawing room, which maintains much of its 1820 elegance.
A short à la carte menu closely follows the seasons, and specialises in top-quality local produce. These are given modern twists into what they like to call Modern Scottish dishes.
Starters such as 'Butter Bean Velouté with Ham Hock Tortellini'; 'Pan-roasted Scallops with Washabi Pommes Purée & Salsa Verde' and 'Caramelised Pork Belly with Tiger Prawns & Cashew Nam Jim' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by the likes of 'Woodland Mushroom Risotto with shaved Parmesan & White Truffle Oil'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass with Haricot Bean Purée, Potato Gnocchi and Crispy Pork Cheek' or 'Fillet of Scottish Beef with Spinach/Parmesan/Anchovy Purée & Dauphinoise Potatoes'.
If you have a sweet tooth, it's worth leaving room for a dessert - which might include 'White Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sorbet & a Lemon and Almond Biscotti' and 'Caramelised Lemon Tart with Mascarpone Sorbet & Pirotte Cookie.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern Scottish
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (bookings only); mains £15.50 to £25.95
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.00; mains £15.50 to £25.95
- Seats: 14
- Wine: a well-thought out list kicks off at £18
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Edinburgh Waverley
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes, but only 10 places - so enquire
- Rooms available