Find this modern basement restaurant in the luxurious Channings Hotel.
Karen Mackay heads a kitchen team that offers a seasonally-changing menu of top-quality mainly local produce.
A winter visit brought 'Toasted Walnut Bread & Sautéed Ceps, with Cox's Apples, Red Wine & Yoghurt Dressing'; 'Pan-Fried Fillet of Red Mullet with Brandade & Chive Beurre Blanc' and 'Roulade of Sarlat Foie Gras with Plum Chutney & Pain Viennese' listed among the starters.
'Wild Mushroom & Ricotta Cannelloni with Ratatouille & Wilted Greens'; 'Pan-Fried Fillet of Sea Bream with Braised Black-Eyed Beans, Chorizo & Rouille' and 'Roasted Breast of Duck with Fondant Potatoes, Creamed Cabbage & Red Currant Jus' among the mains.
Desserts such as 'Vanilla Pannacotta with an Apple Beignet, Clotted Cream Ice Cream & Mint Syrup' and 'Warm Valrhona Chocolate Fondant with Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Sauce & Honeycomb' might tempt you - as might their selection of cheeses from Iain Mellis.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30, Sat & Sun 12.30-15.00; set L £13.00 (2 courses), £17.00 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; mains £15.00 to £25.00
- Seats: 40
- Wine: a well-chosen list has plenty of choice under £20
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Restaurant in basement
- Nearest station: Haymarket or Waverley Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Outside eating
- Rooms available