This informal restaurant's part of a small chain (see Bath, Marylebone & Richmond). Now under new ownership (Jan. 2009), the formula is brilliant, in its way, as the restaurant is under the same roof as a fishmongers. So you can order from their menu, the daily specials or chose an item from the shop, and they will cook it for you.
Fish arrives on a daily basis from Newlyn Market in Cornwall (and from further afield), so is gleamingly fresh.
'Fruits de Mer' is particularly popular as are 'Crevettes with Tarragon Mayonnaise'. 'Char-Grilled Squid with Lemon and Chili'; 'Spaghetti with Clams and Chili' and 'Grey Mullet with Garlic Dressing' are other stock items.
Specials might include 'Brandade of Cod (as a starter), or 'Roast Hake with Chickpeas and Salsa Verde'.
Desserts are an afterthought, but a few are offered. Service is friendly and helpful.
An excellent fishmonger operates from the same site.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-16.00, Sat & Sun 11.00-22.30; mains about £12 to £22
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-23.00, Sat & Sun 11.00-22.30; mains about £12-£22
- Wine: a well-chosen list, concentrating on whites, kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Nearest station: Richmond Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Air conditioned