A rare thing - a totally organic pub - where not only are all the drinks organic, but all the food as well. You'll find a relaxing atmosphere, with bare wooden tables, and no electronic machines or music.
The enterprise is headed by Geetie Singh, who goes even further - by never sourcing anything from multinationals or purchase anything that's been air-freighted.
While the blackboard menu follows the seasons, it also changes a little with each service. An early Spring version included 'Wild Duck, Apple & Celeriac Salad with Hazelnut Dressing'; 'Grilled Halloumi with Spring Onion & Lemon Dressing' and 'Mussels in Tomato, Chorizo and Ale Sauce with Garlic Toast' among the starters.
'Whole Baked Trout wrapped in Parma Ham with Spinach'; 'Welsh Goats' Cheese with Roast Chestnut Mushrooms, Jerusalem Artichokes, Rocket & Roasted Almonds' and 'Char-grilled Sirloin Steak with Roast Beetroot, Potatoes & Sorrel Anchovy Butter' listed among the mains.
Equal care is taken with desserts, with the likes of 'Walnut & Maple Syrup Tart with Chocolate Ice Cream'; 'Marmalade Bread & Butter Pudding' and 'Rhubarb Fool with Coconut Macaroon' on offer - while those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of artisan cheeses.
A Bar Menu offers lighter dishes and slightly longer hours.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.30-15.00, Sat & Sun 12.30-15.30; mains £12.75 to £17.25
- Dinner: all week 18.30-22.30 (Sun 19.00-22.00; mains £12.75 to £17.25
- Wine: a well-chosen organic list is backed up by interesting drinks from the bar
- Children's portions: Children allowed
- Nearest station: Angel Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page