Whilst still a popular 'local', selling real ales, the reason many customers visit this former Victorian gin palace is the good food on offer.
While the menu follows the seasons, a late Spring version included 'Asparagus with Hollandaise'; 'Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Ceps'; 'Rabbit Rillettes with Beetroot Chutney' and 'Potted Shrimps with Toast' among the listed starters.
'Sea Trout, Peas, Bacon & Sorrel'; 'Butternut Squash, Beetroot, Spinach & Alpage Gratin with Green Salad'; 'Wood Pigeon, Puy Lentils, Confit Garlic & Morels' and 'Rump of Lamb, Purple Sprouting Broccoli & Anchovy Butter' among the mains.
Desserts such as 'Chocolate Truffle Cake with Amaretto Cream'; 'Crème Brulée & Rhubarb Compot' and 'Lemon Tart with Raspberry Coulis' set the style for puds.
They have won National awards for their Sunday lunches - which are deservedly popular.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-16.00;mains about £12 to £16
- Dinner: Tues & Sat 19.00-22.00, Weds-Fri 18.00-22.00, Sun 12.00-16.00; mains about £12 to £16
- Wine: a well-chosen list, travels the world, and has modest mrk ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Oval Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page.