This comfortable hotel, with proprietorial-links to the award-winning Walnut Tree Inn nearby (q.v.), has its own good restaurant - run along smarter, more formal lines.
The kitchen offers a seasonally changing menu, combining traditional British styles with mainly Italian imports. Prime ingredients are sourced from top-quality suppliers, mainly local.
A Spring menu included 'Coarse Chicken Liver Paté with Onion Chutney & Grilled Ciabatta'; 'Mussels Mariniere'; 'Black Mountain Smoked Salmon' and 'Mediterranean Antipasto' among the starters.
'While main courses included pasta dishes - such as 'Pappardelle Ribbons with Seafood in a Cream Sauce'; Risotto - such as 'Wild Mushroom with Parmesan & Mascarpone' and Grills - maybe including 'Roast Rump of Welsh Lamb, Braised Green Beans' and 'Ribeye with Mushroom, Provençal Tomato & Hand Cut Chips'.
There's always a good selection of seafood - with perhaps 'Seared Scallops with New Potatoes, Creamed Leeks & Bacon' and 'Gilt-Head Bream, Roast with Garlic Cloves, Thyme & Rosemary' among the listings.
Desserts are of a high standard with 'Raspberry & Almond Crème Brulée'; 'Warm Treacle Tart with Clotted Cream' and 'Dark Chocolate Marquise with Bailey's Ice Cream & Coffee Syrup' setting the style.
They have been shortlisted for National awards for the quality of their Sunday lunch, which is put on with style. While the hotel is also well-known for the quality of its Afternoon Teas, with range from 'Tea & Cakes' to full-blown 'Champagne' versions.
- Food Style: Modern Welsh
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; mains about £14 to £30; set L £30 (3 courses) - plus good sandwiches; set L Sun £25 (2 courses), £30 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 19.00-22.00; set D £309 (3 courses); mains about £14 to £30; Early Bird menu offered in Foxhunter Bar
- Seats: 80
- Wine: a well-chosen list, is helpfully grouped by type, and travels the world with fair mark-ups
- Children's portions: Children’s Menu in Foxhunter Bar & Sitting Room
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: a few days at Christmas
- Rooms available