A smart and deservedly-popular restaurant, with a plush red interior.
The kitchen, now headed by Samira Effa, has an ethos of seeking out ethically produced ingredients, produced as naturally as possible; and this philosophy is carried right through the operation down to the type of light-bulbs used. So expect locally produced food - some organic - and line caught fish, cooked to a high standard.
As would be expected, the menu follows the seasons, but late Spring brought 'Pressed Pig's Head Terrine, Crispy Ears & Port Onions'; 'Smoked Salmon and Chive Layered Terrine with Pickled Lemon' and 'Globe Artichoke and Ratte Potato Salad, Jerusalem Artichoke' among the starters.
'Green Leek Risotto with Shaved Parmesan'; 'Cod Fillet with Crushed Potatoes & Pea Purée' and 'Rack & Breast of Denham Estate Lamb with Kholrabi' listed among the mains.
Desserts such as 'Crème Brulée with Biscotti'; 'Warm Valrhona Chocolate Fondant with Coffee Ice Cream' and 'Poached Rhubarb with Iced Nut Parfait' might tempt you, as might their selection of Farmhouse Cheeses.
They hold regular Jazz Nights - so enquire if these interest you.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Weds-Sun 12.00-14.00, Mon-Fri set L £28 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-21.00 (Fri & Sat 21.30); set early evening menu (18.00-19.00) £28 (3 courses); set D £47.50 (2 courses), £55 (3 courses); Tasting Menu from £70 (whole table only); Sun Supper Club £60 (5 courses)
- Seats: 60
- Wine: a well-chosen list travels the world, kicking off in the high £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Cambridge Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Mon & Tues, check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned