Find this excellent restaurant on the Trelowarren Estate on the Lizard Peninsula, which while being owned continuously by the Vyvyan family for around 600 years, is now run on multifaceted principles - the restaurant just one of them.
The kitchen has built up an excellent network of suppliers, and local seasonal food is very much to the fore.
An early Spring menu included 'Local Wild Garlic Soup with Crème Fraiche & Crispy Shallot Rings'; 'Open Ravioli of Warm Goats' Cheese & Cornish Sea Trout with Young Spring Shoots' and 'Pigeon Breast Wrapped in Bacon Stuffed with a Thyme & Garlic Farce with Mixed Pulses & Spring Greens' among the starters.
'Mr. Retallack's Sirloin Steak with Duck Paté Peppercorn Sauce en Croûte with a Warm Potato Salad'; 'Celeriac & White Truffle Risotto infused with Menallock Cheese & Baby Spring Roots' and 'Roasted Monkfish Tail, Artichoke with Ginger, Lime & Sesame Jus' - plus excellent burgers listed among the mains.
Desserts again vary with the seasons, but 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Clotted Cream'; 'Prange & Saffron Panacotta with a Nougatine Biscuit' and 'Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble with Lemon Ice Cream' set the style.
During summer months Breakfast is offered from 8.30 and Cream teas are deservedly popular.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (Sun 14.30); mains about £11 to £20
- Dinner: all week 18.30-21.00; mains about £11 to £20
- Seats: 50, plus 30 seats outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list, kicking off at around the £18 mark, has modest mark-ups and is helpfully listed by grape types
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Penmere Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: January
- Outside eating
- Rooms available