A popular little bistro, closeto the Minster, offering full breakfasts and sandwiches during the morning.
Lunchtime and dinner bring more serious dishes with starters such as 'Chicken Liver Paté with Smoked Tomato Chutney'; 'Poached English Pear with Yorkshire Blue Cheese & Spiced Blackcurrant Coulis'; 'Yorkshire-Beer-Battered Coconut Prawns with Sweet Chili Mayo' and 'Risotto of Wild Mushrooms with Shaved Parmesan & Truffled Mixed Leaves' setting the style.
Dishes such as 'Pan-Fried Fillet of Halibut with Hollandaise Sauce & Buttered New Potatoes'; 'Crisp-Pressed Slowly-Braised Lamb Shoulder with Bubble & Squeak, Red Wine Jus & Rosemary Jelly' and 'Chicken Breast, Stuffed with Goats' Cheese, Slow-Roast Tomato & Basil, Smoked Red Wine Chorizo Sauce' maybe listed among the mains.
Desserts are listed on a blackboard with maybe 'Rhubarb & Custard Pavlova with Raspberry Coulis & Honeyed Almonds'; 'Vanilla Pannacotta with Orange, Mango & homemade Stem Ginger Ice Cream' and 'Black Forest Chocolate Sponge Pudding with Belgian Chocolate Sauce' there to tempt you.
Their rear garden is particularly popular in warmer weather.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 11.00-17.00; Sat 10.00-22.00; Sun 10.00-17.00; mains £6.95 to £9.95; set L Mon-Sun (but not Sat) £13 (1 course), 16.50 (2 courses), £19 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-22.00; Sat 10.00-22.00; Sun 10.00-17.00; mains £10.95 to £14.95; set D Sun-Thurs £13 (1 course), £16.50 (2 courses), £19 (3 courses)
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: York Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Outside eating