Find this elegant modern restaurant attached to the very comfortable Donnington Hotel, but don't let this put you off, as it's a destination restaurant in its own right, and just for corporate residents.
The kitchen team has established an excellent network of suppliers - both local and from further afield - and his menus combine the traditional with the more modern.
A late Spring menu included 'Braised Pork Cheek Terrine with Chanterelles and Pear & Apple Chutney'; 'Pea & Ham Soup' and 'Seared Scallops with Black Pudding, Spinach and Mash' among the starters.
'Noisette of Lamb filled with Apricots, Shank Faggot, Carrot & Parsnip Purée and Boulangere Potatoes'; 'Veal Cutlet, Shallot, Wild Mushroom & Parmesan Tart & Savoy Cabbage' and Pan-Fried Turbot Fillet, Truffle Oil Mash, Oxtail and Lentil & Spring Onion Cassoulet' listed among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Dark Chocolate & Lavender Tart with Whiskey Syrup & Raspberries'; 'Coconut Pannacotta with Tropical Fruit Salsa' or their selection of Farmhouse Cheeses.
Lighter menus are also on offer, but smart dress is required, particularly in the evening.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; set L £28 (3 courses); mains from about £17 to £29; set L Sun 12.30-14.00 £19 (2 courses), £22 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 19.00-22.00; set D from £27.60 (3 courses); mains from £17 to £29
- Seats: 120
- Wine: an excellent list, would make good bedtime reading, but offers plenty of choice of carafes under the £20 mark bottles starting in the mid £20s
- Children's portions: Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Newbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available